Start a new topic
Answered

Lenovo Think Reality Android 13 App Updates potentially Softbricks the A3 Glasses

Today (May 25 2023) Lenovo pushed the following updates to their Think Reality Apps for Android 13:

- Lenovo Universal Device Client

- TR Home

- TR Cast

- TH Hub

This update also removes the old Think Reality A3 Apps:
- A3 Home

- Companion

- AR Cast

- Model Viewer

After the update was completed, The A3 Glasses stopped working on my phone correctly.

Only after several attempts of rebooting and restarting the Phone and unplugging / re-plugging the glasses, ThinkReality started a firmware update for the glasses.

Only after this update was 100% complete, The A3 Glasses launch into the "support.lenovo.com/thinkreality" Screen of Death.

For now: Try to stay on Android 12 and do not update the ThinkReality apps!

Best Answer

Hi, and sorry for the late response. We have been at AWE until today.

The issue has been resolved but not sufficiently. The complete process is very unsatisfying. This should be discussed with Lenovo (in my opinion).

Here are the steps to resolve it (we tested that process on 5 Devices already and all 5 had the a comparable process):

1. Accept ALL incoming messages regarding removal of exisiting ThinkReality Apps (like A3 Home, ARCast and Model Viewer).
2. Accept ALL incoming messages regarding the installation of new apps (TR Cast, TR Home etc).

3. After complete installation of all apps, the new TR Home Screen will be visible. At random times on connecting the Glasses, the Snapdragon Spaces apps will just crash.
A reboot of the device will resolve the issues

4. At some point in time on connecting the glasses, it will trigger the installation of a new Glasses Firmware.

During the installation process, the glasses will reboot. This will result in a "Contact support" screen in the glasses!!!
To resolve this issue: UNplug the glasses. Reboot the phone. Reconnect the glasses. ONLY these steps will resolve the issue completely.

Hi Fabian,

I understand that your issue has been resolved by restarting and updating the device several times - is that correct? 

will your issue is resolved?

Answer

Hi, and sorry for the late response. We have been at AWE until today.

The issue has been resolved but not sufficiently. The complete process is very unsatisfying. This should be discussed with Lenovo (in my opinion).

Here are the steps to resolve it (we tested that process on 5 Devices already and all 5 had the a comparable process):

1. Accept ALL incoming messages regarding removal of exisiting ThinkReality Apps (like A3 Home, ARCast and Model Viewer).
2. Accept ALL incoming messages regarding the installation of new apps (TR Cast, TR Home etc).

3. After complete installation of all apps, the new TR Home Screen will be visible. At random times on connecting the Glasses, the Snapdragon Spaces apps will just crash.
A reboot of the device will resolve the issues

4. At some point in time on connecting the glasses, it will trigger the installation of a new Glasses Firmware.

During the installation process, the glasses will reboot. This will result in a "Contact support" screen in the glasses!!!
To resolve this issue: UNplug the glasses. Reboot the phone. Reconnect the glasses. ONLY these steps will resolve the issue completely.

Thanks for the feedback - I will add it to our FAQ 

Login or Signup to post a comment