Start a new topic

XRHands Support

Hey!

Are there any plans to support XRHands through Snapdragon Spaces any time soon? We currently rely on XRHands for our entire project, so the QCHT manager for hand data is incompatible with our setup.

Cheers.

Hey Matt,

We don't have plans for official support but in an upcoming version of Snapdragon Spaces we plan on supporting XR_EXT_hand_interaction in addition to XR_EXT_hand_tracking, which should allow you to run XRHands with the Spaces Services. 

I will update this when there is a confirmed release date for the extension. 

That'd be super! Is there a rough eta for that support, if not a hard date?

I can not make promises, but it is scheduled for a release in approximately ~6 weeks. Note that this is subject to change and may be postponed/delayed if circumstances require. 

The current state of QCHT supports HandTracking via XR Interaction Toolkit, which is either the same or better than XRHands. The hand representation of XRHands is more generic and QCHT is better at this point. You may want to consider upgrading your project.  XR Interaction Toolkit | XR Interaction Toolkit | 2.5.1 (unity3d.com) 

Cool, thanks! Our project is super reliant on XRHands as we are cross-platform with a variety of other hand subsystems in use. Will wait for updates on the XR_EXT_hand_tracking support :)

Hey, are there any updates on this release?

Hi Matt,

the hand tracking extension made it into the 0.18.0 release. Unfortunately, this release is not a public one that can be downloaded on our dev portal.

We will be reaching out to internal contacts at Ultraleap to continue. 

The next public release is 0.19.0 which is scheduled in ~1 month and can be downloaded from our dev portal. 

Hey, are there any more updates on this now that 0.19.1 is released?

I'm still struggling to get Qualcomm hands via the regular OpenXR route. All the examples still seem to show using the QCHT extensions, rather than base Unity stuff.

Hmm nevermind, it seems this was a headset issue, we've seen hands working via OpenXR on some other hardware. Thanks anyway!

Sounds like it could possibly be firmware related. On VRX please make sure that your device is using the latest firmware 829 with Snapdragon Spaces Services 0.18.0. Please note that the combination of a higher Snapdragon Spaces plugin with a lower services version is not recommended and may cause some issues. As of now we still recommend using 0.17.0 plugin with the latest VRX firmware 829 until there is a software update for VRX with 0.19.1 services.

Hello, So if i have a seen with XR hands setup, what should i do in order for it to work with spaces?, i updated the services and the SDK to 0.19, and am using the Lenovo development kit 

Hi Ahmed.

Are you on VRX or A3? Your device needs Snapdragon Spaces Services 0.19.1 which are only available for A3 at the moment until there is a firmware update from Lenovo for VRX. 

If you are asking about the Unity implementation side of XR Hands with Spaces - unfortunately we do not have documentation for it as it is not officially supported but given the OpenXR standard it should work regardless. 

Perhaps Matt can fill you in on some specifics of their use of XR Hands. 

Our hand tracking team suggested to look at https://docs.spaces.qualcomm.com/unity/handtracking/XRHandController.html#interaction-profiles as guidance on getting OpenXR interaction data into Unity's input system. Other than that, there should not be much more needed. 

I'll check if we can provide documentation for XRHands usage in the future. 

I've not had any luck getting XRHands (OpenXR data hands) to work on the VRX - I assume due to the update that Simon mentions - but I've had them working perfectly fine on our reference design headsets, so can only assume the VRX will also work fine after the Lenovo firmware update :)

Hey, I am using the AR3, with spaces 0.19.1, also not having any luck making it work, is there any specific setup i should follow?

Unfortunately, we can't provide information on how to set up XRHands since it is not officially supported by Snapdragon Spaces. 

I think that the challenge consists of getting the hands data coming from QCHT from the runtime via OpenXR into a format that works for XRHands and its subsystem.  

In case you would like to use our solution QCHTI instead, please refer to  Hand Tracking Overview (qualcomm.com)  

Login or Signup to post a comment