Start a new topic
Answered

Is OpenXR plugin not compatible with 1.9.1?

Hello.

I'm using Assets, which uses OpenXR plugin 1.9.1. 

Therefore, I would like to use OpenXR plugin 1.9.1 with Spaces SDK.

As you can see from the Changelog, the OpenXR plugin is now 1.9.1.

・changelog link

https://docs.spaces.qualcomm.com/unity/about/changelog

Looking at Changelog 0.20.0, 0.21.0, 0.22.0, and 0.23.0, there is no mention that the OpenXR plugin has been updated to 1.8.2.

However, when I import Spaces SDK 0.23.0 Unity Package from Asset Manager and try to develop it, the OpenXR plugin is 1.8.2.

Is Spaces SDK 0.23.0 not compatible with OpenXR plugin 1.9.1?

Or am I doing it wrong?

Best Answer

Our plan was to move to OpenXR 1.11.0 directly with the next release of Snapdragon Spaces. In the meantime Unity has acknowlledged the bug we reported to them with 1.11.0 and is working on a fix. Since this dependency is with Unity, I can't give a reliable date, but I'm hoping for the next or second to next release of Snapdragon Spaces. 

The changelog on the public documentation is missing the version 0.19.1.1 where we reverted to using OpenXR 1.8.2 with a hotfix because of a memory leak caused by Unity OpenXR 1.9.1. In general I would not recommend using 1.9.1 at all because the memory leak has only been fixed in 1.10.0. Notice the line "Fixed UnitySwapchain destructor to completely destroy swapchains to avoid memory leak." in Unity's changelog for 1.10.0 Changelog | OpenXR Plugin | 1.10.0 (unity3d.com)

If you need to use a version of Unity's OpenXR plugin that is not 1.8.2 but later I would recommend 1.10.0. We did not do testing with this version yet though and I can not promise full compatibility. Please note that there is another bug in Unity's 1.11.0 plugin that may prevent you from using it in Motorola Edge and Think Reality A3 devkits. 

I'll see into updating the documenation to reflect this change. Sorry for the circumnstances! 

1 person likes this

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I understand that you downgraded from 1.9.1.1 to OpenXR 1.8.2. The latest Spaces SDK 0.23.0 also supports OpenXR 1.8.2.

I also understand that OpenXR 1.11.0 has a bug and that OpenXR 1.10.0 is recommended.

If you have any bugs found in OpenXR 1.10.0, please share them with us.

Also, if possible, I would like to use OpenXR, which is guaranteed by the Spaces SDK, but is there a planned date or timing for the Spaces SDK to be updated to OpenXR 1.10.0?

Answer

Our plan was to move to OpenXR 1.11.0 directly with the next release of Snapdragon Spaces. In the meantime Unity has acknowlledged the bug we reported to them with 1.11.0 and is working on a fix. Since this dependency is with Unity, I can't give a reliable date, but I'm hoping for the next or second to next release of Snapdragon Spaces. 

Login to post a comment