Start a new topic

Spaces v0.14 - Device pointer stops working, when adding hand tracking to the scene

Hi there,

when updating to the current Spaces version 0.14, I noticed that the device pointer doesn't update anymore and stays in an idle position, when hand tracking is added to the scene. After removing the "XR Hand Tracking Manager" from the scene, the device pointer started working again like normal. Is there some setting I need to set, in order to use hand tracking and  the device pointer simultanously? In the previous versions this wasn't a problem.

As for my scene setup: I'm using the "Interaction" prefab from the samples and added the "XR Hand Tracking Manager" and controller pointer / pointer viewer from the "QCHT Sample - Menu Spaces" scene. I noticed that the AR Camera has different Tracked Pose drivers in the Spaces samples and the QCHT sample (centerEyePosition/ centerEyeRotation vs. devicePosition/ deviceRotation ). So I'm not sure what the setting should be when hand tracking and device pointing are both active.

Hi Tim,

just wanted to check if I understood your scene setup correctly - here is what I built from your description:

Starting with the Main Menu scene, I removed its AR Session Origin and replaced it with the origin from the QCHT Sample - Menu Spaces scene. Then for the Interaction prefab replaced the hand tracking pointers with the ones from QCHT. 

On first thought If you want to use both input methods simultaneously you might not need the InteractionManager script on the Interaction object at all. Instead place the objects needed for the device pointer and hand tracking directly into the scene. Im testing a few options and will come back to you when I find something suitable.  

About the tracked pose drivers - this might actually be an inconsistency with minor impact. I will inquire about it with the team. 

1 person likes this

Thanks for the quick reply! Yeah that was pretty much our setup!

In the meantime I was trying to install Fusion as a workaround, since Fusion uses the CompanionController, which has its own device pointer. Unfortunately the App is crashing immediately  without log after startup, when running with Fusion. I upgraded the project from Spaces v0.11 to v0.14.

Running the Spaces 0.14 and Fusion on an empty project works fine. There was something strange though, the first time I built the empty Fusion project sample scene. The app wouldnt start and instead show a message which said: "Not enough storage space on the device to run the app" or something along those lines, despite having used only 13% of the storage. I tried to run again and got the same message. After rebuilding the apk the sample scene was running fine

Hi Tim,

Using the Fusion companion controller as a workaround seems like a good idea for me. 

Please make sure you're using the latest public Dual Render Fusion package from https://spaces.qualcomm.com/download-sdk

When upgrading the SDK from way earlier versions we have seen developers having crashes because of Unity caching. I'd suggest deleting the library folder. Depending on project size opening the project up again can take some time.

If the issue persists please provide a log. 

My test setup currently moves the device pointer together with the hand pointer wich is not desirable either. I talked to one of our engineers about the issue and she suggested removing the InteractionManager too. I will try it out and hope to come back to you by the end of the week. 

1 person likes this

Hi Simon, thanks for the reply!

I think something during the update process of the spaces versions went wrong. So we created a new empty project with newest Spaces versions and Fusion and copied our assets from the old project.

Then we managed to achieve having a working Companion Controller pointer and working hands in the same scene!

Login or Signup to post a comment