Start a new topic
Answered

Hand Tracking causes App freeze after Headset reconnect

Steps to reproduce:

1. Restart device

2. Run Spaces Samples app

3. Select the Hand tracking demo - its loading shortly and switches to the hand tracking scene.

4. "Quit out" of the app (Force close the Spaces Samples app, the Spaces Services app and reconnect device)

5. Run Samples app again and run the Hand tracking demo ---> The app completely freezes

6. Repeat step 4+5 with the same result

7. After restarting the mobile device, Hand tracking will work again, until "quitting out" and restarting

The same behaviour is also noticable in our own project. The first run after the device restart, I can turn hand tracking on and off, as many times I like without problem. After closing the app and restarting it freezes up, when switching to hand tracking.

Note: Only force closing the app and restarting without reconnecting the headset is functional. As soon the Headset gets reconnected, stuff starts to break

Best Answer

Hi Tim,

I could easily reproduce this issue with your steps - thanks for the clear instructions. I think this is already known bug and related to the user unplug behavior starting with spaces 0.11.1 and will be fixed in a future release.

In the meantime we recommend the following measures:

• Gracefully shutdown your application before unplugging your glasses  (in Unity via Application.Quit() or Unreal via QuitGame) 
  • Use adb via wifi instead of a cable
  • When unplugging your glasses before a graceful shutdown force close Snapdragon Spaces Services and your application or best restart your phone

I was able to avoid the issue by force closing the Spaces Services and the Samples application. 

To gracefully exit the Spaces Samples app you can hold the Menu button for a couple of seconds. You could implement similar behavior for your own application.  

-Simon

Answer

Hi Tim,

I could easily reproduce this issue with your steps - thanks for the clear instructions. I think this is already known bug and related to the user unplug behavior starting with spaces 0.11.1 and will be fixed in a future release.

In the meantime we recommend the following measures:

• Gracefully shutdown your application before unplugging your glasses  (in Unity via Application.Quit() or Unreal via QuitGame) 
  • Use adb via wifi instead of a cable
  • When unplugging your glasses before a graceful shutdown force close Snapdragon Spaces Services and your application or best restart your phone

I was able to avoid the issue by force closing the Spaces Services and the Samples application. 

To gracefully exit the Spaces Samples app you can hold the Menu button for a couple of seconds. You could implement similar behavior for your own application.  

-Simon

1 person likes this

(this menu button)

1 person likes this

Hey Simon,

I was actually able to solve the problem, since the time of the original post. Like you said the problem was the "unplugging" without properly closing the app. After implementing the "Application Close" like it was described in your documentation the problem disappeared  when using it every time for closing the app.

Login or Signup to post a comment