Start a new topic
Answered

XR Interaction - Use Device Touchpad as Button

Snapdragon Spaces SDK Version: 0.6.1

Hey there,

since the 'Select' button was removed in the newest version of the XR Interaction controller, I'm trying to give the big touchpad the functionality of a button press. The goal is to let the user confirm their selection by pressing anywhere on the touchpad.

I set the touchpad in the Input Actions Manager to work like a button, similar to the 'Menu' button, that is positioned above the touchpad. I then generated a C# class from the Input Actions and linked them in a script. When trying to receive a feedback, I'm only able to get the feedback from the 'Menu' button, nothing from the touchpad.

I know it's possible to create a custom controller, but I'd like to get it to work with the default controller first.

Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for your help!

SCript.png
(27.8 KB)

Best Answer

Hi,

I'm slightly confused as the touch pad is already setup to send a button press when it is tapped?  There isn't a need to add a new button as this would break the controller under it as you have noticed.  You could have the setup you are trying for, but the overlay button needs to not process the touch events so that Android passes it through to the next touch element.  But again, this isn't needed as the reference controller already has the trackpad do what you are asking for.

If you install the Unity Sample application and go into XRIT menu item you can touch the Menu button to switch to phone as a controller mode.  Then you will be able to move the ray cast over the buttons and tap it to select the button, or touch the trackpad and hold which will allow you to grab the slider or the cube and move it around until you release the trackpad.

Let us know if you do not have this experience with the sample app.

Answer

Hi,

I'm slightly confused as the touch pad is already setup to send a button press when it is tapped?  There isn't a need to add a new button as this would break the controller under it as you have noticed.  You could have the setup you are trying for, but the overlay button needs to not process the touch events so that Android passes it through to the next touch element.  But again, this isn't needed as the reference controller already has the trackpad do what you are asking for.

If you install the Unity Sample application and go into XRIT menu item you can touch the Menu button to switch to phone as a controller mode.  Then you will be able to move the ray cast over the buttons and tap it to select the button, or touch the trackpad and hold which will allow you to grab the slider or the cube and move it around until you release the trackpad.

Let us know if you do not have this experience with the sample app.

1 person likes this

Hi Brian,

first off, thanks for your quick response! After taking another look at the XRIT sample scene, we were able to successfully implement the touchpad in a similar way in our app. Instead of trying to assign the touchpad to an InputAction via code, we now use an InputActionReference and check if it has been triggered. It works like a charm!

Thanks again for your help!

Login or Signup to post a comment