Start a new topic
Answered

Bug report: no controller support in the samples apk (or when built from Unreal project)

Application: Unreal Samples, version: 0.6.0 (latest), both the shipped apk and when built to device

Expected behavior: per the application's instructions, clicking the "menu" button on the host controller should switch between Gaze and Pointer interaction

Actual behavior: the clicking the "Menu" button doesn't seem to do anything

Addl. info: the Menu button seems either greyed out or at least colored differently than the other button (see screenshot)

To repro: either build the Unreal Samples to device or use the .apk that ships with the SDK (both exhibit similar behavior)

Thank you!

Best Answer

Hey Michael,

Two things to check:

1. You may not be running the latest Samples or Spaces Services, as they have a new layout for the Companion Controller than the one you're showing. The new one has a touchpad on it. We also did a hotfix SDK update to 0.6.1, so can you make sure you're using the latest?

2. If you updated to the latest Spaces Services, you may need to set your settings (Display over other apps, Input Source) again in the Spaces Services app. Please check to see if those are properly set by opening the Spaces Services app on your phone, then try again.

Answer

Hey Michael,

Two things to check:

1. You may not be running the latest Samples or Spaces Services, as they have a new layout for the Companion Controller than the one you're showing. The new one has a touchpad on it. We also did a hotfix SDK update to 0.6.1, so can you make sure you're using the latest?

2. If you updated to the latest Spaces Services, you may need to set your settings (Display over other apps, Input Source) again in the Spaces Services app. Please check to see if those are properly set by opening the Spaces Services app on your phone, then try again.

1 person likes this

Thanks, Steve. Confirming that I'm running the 0.6.1 SDK and samples (just double checked, copied over a fresh 0.6.1 download and did a fresh build). 

I'm seeing the touchpad whenever I connect the device (after the sign in flow) but the above screenshot is the app that pops up when I launch the samples app, both the one that ships and the built one. 

How might I update Spaces Services?

Update: I was able to sideload the 0.6.1 Services apk from the SDK and, after resetting the Input Source per your suggestion, it worked! I now have 3DoF controller access. Thanks a bunch!

PS: for documentation's sake, might be worth adding a note about updating the controller version to latest on the download page's "get started" section. I can't be the only doofus who never thought the mobile app can/should be updated regularly via the apk.

Login or Signup to post a comment